Monday, January 1, 2007

Turning 23

Today, after much celebration the night before,I am 23. I am not too sure how I feel about this number. There is a part of me that is really bitter. Now, I know 23 is not old by any means and that I still have my whole life in front of me but there are things that I have not yet accomplished such as being graduate school, being fluent in a language (yes yes yes I know that I brought that one upon myself so please no comments), I have not saved the world yet, I do not own a car, and I havent been to China. Even though I have not accomplished these things there is so much I have learned and accompished so far:

1. I have my college degree
2. I managed to escape college without any piercings or tatoos
3. I have travled to several different countries
4. I have learned how to bite my tongue and not argue with my mother because no matter what I will never win
5. I have learned that when an aunt is gracious enough to house me I need to put the alcohol down
6. I am a proud older sister to a wonderful younger brother who has inspired me to do the work I am doing now
7. I have learned that in college when you have to pay for laundry there are several different ways to wear your underware before you have to wash them (yes gross I know)
8. I learned the hard way that pizza boxes should never go into an oven to bake
9. I have had the honor of having my lolo and lola help raise me and be a wonderful influence in my life
10. I have a father who loves me and spoils me and is the calming voice in my life
11. I am the oldest grandchild on the Silva side and I have countless wonderful and adorable cousins whom when I see always make me smile and laugh
12. I have learned that no matter who makes it, Nonnies mashed potatos and Lolos Adobo are always better and I, nor anyone else, can never replicate them
13. I know how to rig a toilet to flush by using a really long shoe lace
14. I have learned that when sitting in a class and we are studying the cardiovascular disease Angina I should not laugh out loud almost hyisterically, because I am that immature
15. I have learned that you are never too old to love Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia
16. I have learned that being half Filipino is one of the most amazing things ever
17. Finally, I have the most wonderful family, amazing friends, and a future ahead of me that is big and bright and holds endless possibilities.


So I guess being 23 isnt all that bad.

6 comments:

exskindiver said...

cardiovascular disease, Angina and also myocardial inFARCTion are worthy of the giggles...as long as you are able to say it with a straight face by the time you are a 42 year old cardiologist. (or not)
Inappropriately timed laughter is not necessarily a sign of immaturity--
It is just a manifestation of being young at heart and being able to scrape out humor whenever possible, in order to balance out life.
Happy Birthday.

Charissa said...

Ally,
You have learned some interesting life lessons. And BTW you DO win some, mind you, some arguments. I love you. Happy Birthday again.

Jude said...

Happy Birthday Ally,
You are growing into your own.
Hope we can meet soon.
Love,
Uncle Teddy and Auntie Gigi

pulang-gubat said...

Dear Allyson,
A very belated Happy Birthday. We didn't know your address so we couldn't send you a card. We also didn't call you but rest assured that we remembered you and said very special prayers for you.
We wish you all the best that you deserve. We love you and we are very proud of you. Take good care of yourself and God bless you.

Charissa said...

So when's the next blog?

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I'm just turning 23 right now and thanks be to God that I found your post. Although it's not much fun for me tonight, I totally agree with you in many things... I have to do my list! Nice you wrote it!

Big hug from Peru
Juli