Thursday, January 25, 2007

A small piece of heaven in a place that often feels like hell

The City of Philadelphia is a tough city to live in. In Philadelphia the crime rate is astonomical,over 400 murders for 2006 and for this year already there has been at least one murder a day, the city is very dirty, only 2% recycle, the traffic is horrible,and the people are often quite harsh. Even though I love living here these characteristics of the city start to take a toll on your psyche. Just the other night I found a restaurant that makes all of my Philly woes disappear. The restaurant is called Manila Bay, and it is a small, beautiful place that offers me the comfort foods that remind me of home, and of lolo. The food is amazing, with offers of tocino, lumpia, pancit, bistek, chop soy, adobo(but it will never be as good as lolo's), laing and much much more including the ever so good San Miguel beer and all the entree's are priced between $7-$9, very affordable even for a poor lowly corps member like myself. It was so nice to not only eat Filipino food, but it was nice because I brought my roommate Emily with me and she got a taste of Filipino food for the first time and she loved it. It was so nice to be in a restaurant the served up comfort foods, it made getting through a City Year work week in Philadelphia bearable.

6 comments:

Charissa said...

I am so glad you've found Manila Bay. By the way, lolo and lola may be coming for a visit next week!

exskindiver said...

i am salivating.
hey al,
how about i take a drive to phlly so you and i can do a manila bay run?

pulang-gubat said...

Ally,
Try other things too. I'm sure you'll love whatever it is. We are now in Chicago. We may go to Galena next week We'll see.
We love you.
Lolo and Lola

pulang-gubat said...

Dear Ally:

Thank you for the compliment. Your have made me more determined to improve my cooking... What a wonderful apo you are...as we always say: you will always be our "sweet little girl"...Manila Bay must be place to visit.. Love, Lolo (and Lola).. we ae here in Chicago now...

exskindiver said...

"our sweet little girl"

(duly noted)
i won't bite your scalp for that one.

Jude said...

Thanks Ally-- for your thanks on my blogspot. A. Gigi knows about the program you are thinking of, hope it goes well. And also, there are MANY filipino restaurants about 10 min. from where we live you would love it! We took Lolo and lola to one of them and they liked it so much.