Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Another Year Old

It is January 2nd 2008. I have been 24 for one whole day. This time next year I will be 25. Ugh. But until I am 25 I will not think about it because 25 to me means that I am officially an adult. I feel that at 25 I should not enjoy cereals such as Lucky Charms, I should wear more high heels and not so many flip flops, along with that I should get pedicures (see Auntie Chesca I will take care of my feet), maybe not be so ga ga over Harry Potter books, start living on my own instead of with 5 roommates like I did in college and possibly live in a house that does not look like a scene from Animal House, should do my hair on a regular basis, I should do laundry more than once every three weeks, open up a savings account and start saving for a house, not live on a stipend and, many other adult like things I should do at the age of 25. BUT I am not 25 yet, I am 24 and I love it because all of the things listed above do not apply to me yet and will not apply to me for another 363 days. So I will eat my sugary cereal, do my hair only if I feel like waking up in time to do so, read Harry Potter and love it, not break my ankle in heels, but I will contemplate doing my toes and love being 24.

Last year was a good year for me. There are many things I got the opportunity to do such as:

1. Complete one whole year of national service and changed the world in my own way
2. Live with a rather large dog
3. Travel to Miami, Boston, Washington D.C. New Hampshire (which I might add not so interesting but hey I was there for a week,)New York City, and the the New Jersey shore (several times)
4. Drank my first pint of Guinness and did not like it
5. I learned how to surf and failed miserably but it was an amazing expereince!
6. Completed my first 10 mile run
7. I saw Bill Clinton speak as well as George Bush Sr (2 Presidents in one year, not bad)
8. I got to speak on stage in front of 400 people in Boston (one of my fears were conquered in that moment)
9. Played soccer on a roof top that overlooked the Philadelphia sky line
10. Saw the Yankees play for the first time, saw the Phillies play....Yanks trump Phillies
12. Made it through two rounds of a very intense, grueling, Teach For America Interviews....didn't get the job but hey I made it a lot further than most people
11. Got at tattoo.......HA JUST KIDDING MOM!

I grew a lot last year, there is a lot I did do that I did not list, I am proud of my accomplishments with City Year and the amazing changes I saw in the youth I work with, I had wonderful roommates last year and I survived my first post-college adventure. There is still much I want to do this year. Things that are possible and I am sure things that are impossible, but hey I can dream right? These things include

1. Complete a second year of National Service and change the world in my own way yet again
2. Take the GRE's (eeek!)
3. Kick a pigeon...I am cruel. I don't care. They are gross.
4. Travel. Travel.Travel. Preferably internationally
5. Go the the Philadelphia Art Museum more often. Its free on Sunday's so why not.
6. Run a marathon. If I can do 10-12 miles then 26 is cake. You can quote me on that.
7. Not buy anything Nike, GAP or Starbucks. AKA start fighting corporate America.
8. To write more. Take more pictures. Document the events of my life.
9. Volunteer with an organization that gets more young people to vote.
10. Do environmental work. Global Warming is here to stay people...Walk or ride a bike!
11. Go home more often.


Of course there is a lot I want to do with my life but I figure this is a good start. I am going to make 24 my best year yet because next year its 25 and then I am old. Well not old. I mean I will have to grow up in many ways that I am not already. But for now I will settle on changing the world, fighting corporate greed, combating global warming, and I will read more. It is going to be a great year.

3 comments:

pulang-gubat said...

Dear Allyson:

You accomplished a lot and you have a very great sense of direction with clear goals, and all that is very admirable in a young woman. Do not worry about 25... when you reach that age, you will again look back and see that you have advanced again in life. We will always say and repeat all over again that we are so proud of you. We cannot imagine that the wide eyed little girl who arrived in the Philippines to meet all her aunts, uncles and cousins, is now a beautiful, scholarly, and brilliant woman. We continue to pray for you everyday. God bless you. We love you.

Lolo and Lola

Charissa said...

Ally,
You had an awesome year! You will achieve all that you want this year too. And yes, come home anytime you want:)Love you.
Mom

K-Kix said...

Dear Ally,

What can I say? I am sooo very proud of you! In other words --
YOU ROCK!!

Belated Happy Birthday!

Hope to see you soon.
I love you.

Auntie Karen